Saturday, June 16, 2012

LAUGHTER

If I had to pick one word to describe the people of Botswana, it would be laughter.  From the moment I stepped off the plane (which I can't wait to post a picture of...it was a prop plane LOL) all I have heard is laughter.  Everyone is always laughing and smiling.  It is really quite amazing to me.  I was talking to a young Batswana (that is how you call the people of Botswana in plural) named Chris, hehe, and he asked me what my impression of Botswana was so far.  I told him that I think Americans tend to have this perception that everyone else in the world is miserable because they are not us.  They don't have our freedoms or our comforts, and so how could they be happy?  I have been to a few poorer places now.  From the Philippines to Chiapas in Mexico, and now here in Francistown, I have seen nothing but genuine love and caring and hospitality and most of all...happiness.

I noticed over the last 3 days that I have seen no people on the streets begging for money or for food, nor have I seen anyone sleeping on the street.  Today, I asked Fr. Sylvester (the priest I am staying with) what Francistown's homeless population was like.  He looked at me and said, "What's that?"  He didn't know what a homeless person was.  I honestly didn't know how to respond.  When I explained that a homeless person was someone who didn't have a home and so had to live on the street, he asked me why they wouldn't have homes.  He couldn't believe that people in America would be homeless.  I'm still dumb-struck by that moment in the car.

Yesterday was the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus; it was a big celebration at Mass.  When the time to sing the Gloria came (which by the way, not only does EVERYONE sing, but they all sing completely acapella and loudly, no matter what their voices sound like) they all started dancing and clapping and waving their arms in the air.  Of course, I danced and clapped along.  After the Mass, one of the youth of the parish (who told me he wants to be a priest) asked me if they dance like that in America.  I told him no; we don't like dancing in our liturgy.  His mouth literally dropped open.  He asked me if I was serious, and when I said yes, he said, "Not even during the Gloria?  You don't dance for the Gloria?!"  I told him no.  He could not conceive of not singing and dancing during Mass. "God is with us.  It is a time of joy!  Why wouldn't you want to dance?" another youth asked me.  What could I answer?

I don't want to give the impression I'm looking down on America, because I'm not.  I love my home and I do love my country.  But perhaps it's time for us to stop thinking there is no room for us to grow.  Maybe we need to start seeing what we can learn from others, even something as simple as laughter and joy.

Peace.

Our Lady of the Desert Cathedral - my home parish for the summer.

3 comments:

  1. Joy and Laughter...even in sign language you can't help but return a smile! How GOOD it is to hear your reflections, Chris. What a treasured time this is and one so valuable in the shaping of who you continue to become. Smiling is the most natural behavior we have as people! It seems that you are with those whom Christ would call children at heart. All of your descriptions reflect that genuine, authentic, spirit in the people that is so indicative of people who take themselves lightly! Would that be the truth for all of us! :-) It gives me something to smile about! xo Monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thought, Chris - when we celebrate your first Mass will we be dancing the Gloria? Think about the joy that would embody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I know when I read "MoJo has commented on your blog" that it would be you?! Amen to everything you said! And the joy is so infectious. You can't help but just smile. I've noticed that most of the elderly here have deep wrinkles near their eyes, I'm sure from smiling so much. I wish that were the case for all people...and not deep worry lines.

      I would LOVE to dance during the Gloria...we'll have to plan it. I just hope the people would dance too, and not just stare open-mouthed, haha!

      Delete