Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Reflection #4 - Youth Rally

For the closing Mass at the Vicariate of Francistown Youth Rally - July 12, 2012  This Mass was accompanied by one of Francistown's seminarians receiving the Ministries of Reader and Acolyte, so the Bishop asked me to talk about vocation.

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?  A doctor?  Teacher?  Police office? President?  I never wanted to be a priest.  My dream was to be an astronaught and to go into space (which is probably why I love the night sky here in Botswana - I can see the stars).  When I got older, I wanted to work in theater and before I entered the seminary, I wanted to be a social worker.  Those were my plans, but obviously God had something else in mind. 

Today we hear about the prophet, Amos.  The priest of Bethel, Amaziah, is complaining against Amos and his prophecies, and so he is telling Amos to leave; to go somewhere else.  But Amos replies that he is there because God wants him to be.  Amos explains that he was only a herdsman, a farmer tending sheep.  But the Lord took him from the flock and said, "Go."  So Amos went.  Where is the Lord calling you to go?  What is God calling you to do?

Today we are privileged to see our brother, Gaone, installed into the Ministries of Reader and Acolyte.  This is another step on the journey to priesthood and an important reminder that the duty of the priest, and indeed all of us, is to serve.  A lot of people today think that the youth don't care.  That you are superficial.  I don't think that's true.  I think the youth care very much.  I think you are trying to find your faith in God in a culture that doesn't support you.  I think you are trying to understand the Gospel among people who refuse to hear it.  That isn't easy.  But that is why you must make the difference NOW.  TODAY.  You must pave the road for the youth who are coming after you.  That is a huge responsibility, but it isn't impossible.

The second reading from Ephesians told us this: "For he has made known to us in all wisdom and insight the mystery of his will, according to his purpose for which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, in heaven and on earth."  Christ has already cleared the path.  Now you must help tar the road.  One of the best ways you can do that is to model right behavior and good choices.  Many of you have younger brothers and sisters or cousins.  They are watching you.  They are learning from you.  Teach them to make good choices; to do the right thing.  And that goes for you parents also.  Your children may be influenced by culture, but they learn from YOU how to deal with those influences.  Be wise and good teachers.

I also think the youth today want to make a difference.  I think you want to have a meaningful life.  Not just one where you make lots of money or become famous or have lots of things.  I think you sincerely want to help others.  And although you want to be successful, the world out there says something different about success, doesn't it?  I hope you know better.  I hope you know that you can have no clothes, no food, no home, no money, no cell phone or computer, but still have everything, for if you carry the joy of God in your heart, you will want for nothing. 

Today I challenge all of you - young and old, man and woman, girl and boy - to have the courage to ask God, "Where shall I go?  What would you have me do, Lord?"  Your Church needs priests.  Your Church needs brothers and sisters in religious life.  Your Church needs caring mothers and fathers, loving husbands and wives, and chaste single people.  Your Church needs you to be who you were born to be.

When you were little, what were your dreams?  What did you want to do?  Where are you going now? *When God decided to make a countless nation, he chose a man with a low sperm-count and a post-menopausal woman.  When God chose a leader to proclaim freedom and lead the people to the promised lnd, he chose the man with a lisp.  When God wanted to slay the giant, he chose the small boy with a sling-shot.  And when God chose to be born of a human, he chose  young, unmarried peasant girl, who was a virgin.*  And so God has chosen you.  Not because of your perfection, but because you are wonderfully imperfect.  Not because of what you may do, but because of what you can.  Not because of who you might be, but because of you who you are right now.  Amos was a herder, Peter was a fisherman, Matthew was a tax collector.  Be brave.  Dare to answer God's call.  I can't promise you it will be easy, but I think I can promise that you will know joy.

When the Lord called Jeremiah he said, "Lord, behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth."  But the Lord answered him, "Do not say 'I am only a youth' for to all whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak.  Be not afraid, for I am with you."  AMEN.



*This portion was taken from a reflection written by Fr. Mike Miller of St. Patrick's Seminary*

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Its by complete luck that I found this blog, I was at the youth camp *though I came late* and Remember you! A friendly and bubbly guy to have around!!! And I remember this homily very well :)) its was a great pleasure having you with us during the camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! I'm so glad to meet you on here...thank you for your kind words. The camp was fun! And it was so wonderful to be with all the youth. I still have the video from the closing Mass, and I LOVE watching it! I miss Botswana very very much...where do you live?

      Delete